Are you tired of scrubbing away for hours just to get rid of scale buildup? Instead of using harsh chemicals to combat this problem, there is an even better solution that is actually good for the environment. You can install the best salt free water softener to treat your supply.
Unlike regular water softeners, saltless versions essentially work to condition or descale your water supply. As a result, you get to keep the minerals in it without having to suffer from the consequences. Investing in one means you get a low-maintenance and long-lasting solution to your hard water problems.
Here’s the thing, though: it can be tough to find the perfect system that delivers the best service. As such, we took it upon ourselves to test out several options to find the best of the best. Read through our best no salt water softener system reviews below to see which option suits your needs.
- A Quick Comparison of our Favorites
- Best Salt Free Water Softeners Review
- 1. Aquasana EQ-1000-AST Whole House Water Filter Salt-Free Conditioner Combo
- 2. AO Smith Whole-House No-Salt Water Descaler, Water Softener Alternative
- 3. APEC Water Systems FUTURA-15 Salt-Free Water Softener and Conditioner
- 4. Filtersmart Whole House Water Filter System & Saltless Water Softener Combo
- 5. Hardless NG3 Water Filter and Conditioner
- 6. Tier1 Essential Salt-Free Water Softener, WH_WS_SF_844 (Certified Series)
- 7. Aquios AQFS220 No Salt Water Softener and Filter Combo
- 8. Springwell Whole House Water Filter & Saltless Softener Combo
A Quick Comparison of our Favorites
If you’re short on time to go through our in-depth reviews below, this quick overview will help you make a quick buying decision
- Best Overall: Aquasana Whole-House Water Filter with Salt-Free Conditioner: This water softener doesn’t use chemicals and salt to treat water, uses Aquasana’s dual-tank SimplySoft descaler technology, removes 97% of chlorine and other contaminants, can last for a decade, and comes with a complete installation package.
- Best Descaler for City and Well Water: AO Smith Whole-House No Salt Water Descaler: A hard water treatment descaler that prevents limescale by conditioning, treats city and well water, works for all water needs, requires zero maintenance, lasts up to 6 years, is professionally manufactured, cost-efficient, and is easy to install.
- Best Whole House Water Softener: APEC Water Systems FUTURA-15 Salt-Free Water Softener: A salt-free unit that requires zero maintenance, offers long-lasting service, effectively prevents corrosion and scale buildup, retains essential minerals, doesn’t use electricity, is safe for plants, delivers an impressive flow rate, and is easy to install.
- Best Indoor/Outdoor Water Softener: Filtersmart Saltless Whole-House Water Softener System: This whole house water softener comes with a built-in filter, protects appliances from scaling, requires no maintenance, acts as a conditioner and a filter, has a flow rate of 7 GPM, can be installed indoors and outdoors, and is easy to set up.
- Best Budget Water Softener: Hardless NG3 Water Filter and Conditioner: This water conditioner keeps all beneficial minerals intact, prevents limescale and corrosion, conditions city/well/municipal water, boasts a built-in filtration system, is compact, can be installed indoors or outdoors, and is UPC and NSF certified.
- Best Water Softener for High Water Hardness Levels: Tier1 Essential Salt-Free Water Softener: A water treatment system that doesn’t use salt, comes with a built-in pre-filter, is NSF and ANSI 61 certified, is easy to install, doesn’t require backwashing, doesn’t use electricity, can handle high water hardness levels, and is suitable for 1-3 bathrooms.
- Best Water Softener for Larger Households: Aquios AQFSS220 No-Salt Water Softener: The water softener uses polyphosphate additive Siliphos to reduce limescale buildup, has a built-in filtration system, a pore size of 5 microns, filters last for about 6 months, improves the taste of water, and is easy to install.
- Best Energy-Efficient Water Softener: SpringWell Water Filter and Saltless Softener: This water conditioner combines the power of a water descaler and conditioner in one, utilizes the brand’s ActivFlo technology to eliminate contaminants, gets rid of unpleasant odor, doesn’t run on electricity, and is easy to mount.
Best Salt Free Water Softeners Review
This review of the best saltless water softener aim to help you decide which system is the perfect choice for your home. These are all from trusted brands and are the best options when it comes to price, performance, and features.
1. Aquasana EQ-1000-AST Whole House Water Filter Salt-Free Conditioner Combo
With the Aquasana filter plus salt-free conditioner, every drop of water that enters your pipes is guaranteed to be the best quality. What’s more, you can expect 10 long years of service or about 10 million gallons of purified water from this one simple device. For us, that is an investment worth making.
The great thing about this water treatment system is that it doesn’t use harsh chemicals and salt to deliver on its promise of better-quality water. Instead, you can thank Aquasana’s dual-tank SimplySoft descaler technology. Through natural means, the existing buildup of hard water scale on your plumbing system is reduced, and new accumulation is prevented.
Working with the SimplySoft descaler is Aquasana’s Rhino Whole-House Water Filter. This technology boasts up to 97% removal of chlorine and other harmful contaminants in water, including pesticides, rust, silt, and industrial solvents. Because you are exposed to lower levels of these synthetic chemicals, the result is supple-looking skin and a healthier head of hair.
Take note, however, that this does not lower the levels of TDS or total dissolved solids. This means a certain level of minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, and more, will still remain in your water supply.
While it can last for a decade, the pre-filter needs to be replaced in just a month or so, and the post-filter in about two or three months. This is because the system filters every drop of water that travels from your pipes to all the faucets in your house.
- Comes with a complete installation package
- Lasts for a decade
- Conditions and filters water
- No demanding maintenance requirement
- Produces better-tasting water
- Protects water fixtures and pipelines from scale
- Doesn’t reduce TDS (total dissolved solids)
- The filters need regular replacements
- Not easy to install
2. AO Smith Whole-House No-Salt Water Descaler, Water Softener Alternative
Another effective hard water treatment solution that doesn’t use harsh salt is this whole-house descaler from AO Smith. It’s a good thing that the brand is very clear about what this product is. No, it’s not a water softener because it doesn’t soften hard water.
Instead, it conditions and descales it to prevent the buildup of scale. Hence, you get to benefit from the minerals in your water supply without worrying about them damaging your lines and your appliances.
So, how does the AO Smith water descaler work then? This device prevents limescale by conditioning the minerals in the water so that they don’t clump together and clog your pipelines. This safeguards your plumbing system as well as any and all appliance that uses water from your tap.
What’s really impressive about this device is that you can use it whether you live in the city or the country. You can use it to treat well water, but we recommend that you install a pre-filter first. In this way, you can maximize the benefits that this descaler can give you.
- Effectively treats city and well water
- Professionally manufactured
- Does not need maintenance
- No-hassle installation
- Prevents limescale
- Lasts for up to six years
- No built-in water filter like its counterparts
3. APEC Water Systems FUTURA-15 Salt-Free Water Softener and Conditioner
FUTURA-15’s most significant selling point is the fact that it doesn’t use salt to prevent scaling. This means you still get the essential minerals you need from water. For even more convenience, this system requires no maintenance but offers long-lasting and reliable service.
APEC Water Systems understands the importance of having a reliable water-conditioning system. Do not be fooled by the FUTURA-15’s straightforward appearance. Despite its sleek looks, this device effectively prevents corrosion and rids your plumbing system of scale buildup.
Please note that this is not a water softener. It does not remove calcium and magnesium, which is what causes water to become “hard.” Instead, what it does is change the characteristics of these minerals to protect your water fixtures and water pipes from scale buildup and corrosion. As a result, using this device guarantees your water supply is safe to use on plants and does not give your skin that “soapy” feel when you shower.
Another impressive thing about the FUTURA 15 is that it doesn’t use electricity, nor does it require backwashing. What’s more, there’s no need to drain any wastewater nor replace salt (as you would need to do with a water softener).
For this reason, we find that this no-salt water softener and conditioner is among the best systems you could have in your home. The problem is that it can only work on a water supply with a hardness level of no more than 25 grains per gallon.
- Effectively protects against scale buildup
- Prevents your water lines from corrosion
- No maintenance required
- Delivers impressive water flow rate
- Easy to install
- No built-in water filter
- Not for households with over 25 GPG
4. Filtersmart Whole House Water Filter System & Saltless Water Softener Combo
Among the most common minerals found in water are magnesium and calcium. Unfortunately, these minerals are also responsible for scaling, which damages and clogs your water lines and appliances in the long run.
To solve this problem, we turn to water softeners. What this device does is get rid of these minerals. But you don’t want them gone from your supply, too, right? The best solution, then, are saltless water softeners, like this one from Filtersmart.
Compared to other options on this list, Filtersmart took it one step further and included a built-in filter. With this combo, you get a water softener/filtration system that eliminates odor and unpleasant taste from your supply, as well as safeguard your appliances from scale buildup. Furthermore, it does all this without affecting the water’s flow rate.
You would also appreciate how easy it is to install this unit. This is thanks to the built-in bypass system. This feature allows you to easily install this conditioner/purifier, whether you decide to do so inside or outside your house. The cherry on top? It does not require any form of maintenance. The only thing you ever need to do is check for leaks from time to time.
- Protects your appliances from scaling
- Hassle-free to install
- Hits two birds with one stone (conditioner + filter in one)
- Can be installed indoors or outdoors
- Does not require maintenance
- More expensive than other options
5. Hardless NG3 Water Filter and Conditioner
The Hardless NG3 is also not a water softener but a water filter and water conditioner in one. For this reason, it keeps all the beneficial minerals intact but makes sure your plumbing lines and appliances are protected from limescale and corrosion. This results in healthier, smoother skin as well as a reduction of water spots on your fixtures and dishes.
Though it looks rather plain and simple, do not be fooled by its appearance. You can use the Hardless NG3 to filter and condition well water, city water, and municipal water. In short, you can use it wherever you live in the country. It’s also a whole-house system, so every drop that enters your home is treated first using this device.
Besides the conditioner, the Hardless NG3 boasts a built-in filtration system with an impressive five stages. These remove sediment, chlorine, odor, unpleasant taste, and other impurities.
It functions similarly to a large water treatment device, but you can get all of these benefits at a fraction of the cost. Moreover, even after going through all of those filters, it can still produce up to 30 gallons of water per minute.
- Can be installed outdoors or indoors
- Compact design
- Easy to set up
- Certified by UPC and NSF
- Can block particles up to 2 microns
- The filter needs regular replacements
6. Tier1 Essential Salt-Free Water Softener, WH_WS_SF_844 (Certified Series)
A water treatment system that does not use salt guarantees a better-quality water supply that you can use for different purposes. It eliminates that greasy feeling you get from showering with untreated water, as well as prevents corrosion in your water lines. This is precisely what Tier1 Essential offers in its Certified Series Salt-Free Water Softener.
Like the previous option from Filtersmart, this unit also comes with a built-in pre-filter. With both NSF and ANSI 61 certifications under its name, you can rest assured that you and your family get to enjoy the best quality water without having to spend a fortune. The filter effectively minimizes the presence of copper and minerals, as well as chlorine, in your supply.
If you are worried about installing this unit, don’t be. Judging from our personal experience, the Tier1 Essential is among the easiest water treatment systems to install you will come across. You can also trust that there will be no leaks, as the fittings are all professionally manufactured.
When it comes to maintaining this unit, you don’t have to worry yourself about any. It doesn’t require backwashing, and you don’t need to do any salt refills because it doesn’t use salt. Unlike other filters/water softeners, it doesn’t use electricity, too, saving you money on your energy bill. All in all, it is a worthy investment your family deserves.
- Can handle high water hardness levels
- Filters out chlorine
- Prevents scaling
- No maintenance requirement
- Easy to install
- The filter is not powerful enough to remove all contaminants
7. Aquios AQFS220 No Salt Water Softener and Filter Combo
Last but not least, we tested the Aquios AQFS220. Like the other water treatment systems on this list, this is also a salt-free water “softener” and filter in one. Again, this isn’t really a water softener in that it does not get rid of the minerals in the water. Hence, you still get to enjoy the benefits of calcium, potassium, magnesium, and more.
So, what does it do then? The AQFS220 utilizes the polyphosphate additive Siliphos. Through this substance, the magnesium and calcium in your supply, which are what cause limescale buildup, are “transformed” so that they don’t cling to your water lines. It’s a natural substance, too, so you’re not exposing your body to any synthetic chemical.
Another impressive thing about the AQFS220 is that, besides the water conditioner, it also has a built-in filtration system. With a pore size of 5 microns, this system filters out contaminants and impurities that you do not want your water to have. You can expect the filters to last for about six months or up to 40,000 gallons of water.
If you have even the slightest idea of how plumbing systems work, you will find that this system is easy to install. Just make sure you secure the fittings so that leaks are kept at bay. Can’t be bothered to do maintenance tasks? You don’t have to worry about that, too, because this entire system requires little to no maintenance.
- Improves the taste of water
- Prevents buildup and corrosion
- Can handle an entire house’s water supply
- Filters particles bigger than 5 microns
- Not for water supplies with high hardness levels
8. Springwell Whole House Water Filter & Saltless Softener Combo
Want to start living a healthier lifestyle? While making sure you get proper nutrition from food and exercising regularly will do you wonders, you should also look at the quality of water you’re drinking and bathing with. The human body is made up of about 60% water, so it’s only right that you make sure the water supply you use in your home is of the best quality.
For that, you can tap the help of this saltless water softener and filter from SpringWell Water. This device combines the power of a water conditioner and water descaler in one. As a result, you get better-quality water that does not reek of impurities.
Do note that this is not really a water softener, though. A water softener removes minerals from water, and SpringWell Water understands that we need these minerals. Instead, this device conditions your water supply so that it doesn’t cause corrosion in your water lines and cause limescale buildup.
This water filter/softener utilizes the brand’s ActivFlo technology. This four-stage filtration system either reduces or eliminates altogether the many contaminants you can find in untreated water. More than anything, it gets rid of that unpleasant odor that we all know comes from chlorine and other contaminants.
If you have even a tiny bit of knowledge about plumbing, installing this unit won’t be a problem. Otherwise, you can hire your local plumber to do it for you. Like its counterparts, it does not run on electricity, too, so you won’t need to plug it into an outlet. As for maintenance, the only requirement is to check for leaks every now and then.
- Delivers fresh-tasting water
- More efficient than its counterparts
- Filters out contaminants
- Helps remove existing scale buildup
- Doesn’t require maintenance
- No issues to mention
And there you have it! Those are 8 of the best salt free water softener systems you will find available on the market today. Whether you want one that can handle a single point in your water line or one that treats every drop that enters your home, you can find a product that suits your needs.
With the help of these reviews, we hope that you can get the better-quality water supply that you and your family need. If you ask us, we prefer the ones that connect to the main water supply line. In this way, we get to maximize the benefits of having water that doesn’t feel greasy and doesn’t leave white spots.
Our best overall is the Aquasana Whole-House Water Filter with Salt-Free Conditioner. Though it’s a little pricey, it’s well worth the investment, as it can last for approximately 10 years. This means a decade-long worth of good-quality water that the entire family can enjoy.